Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful

Today I celebrate Thanksgiving as an American living in England. Oddly enough, they talk about Thanksgiving here too, both with Riley's Rainbow troop and in Lyla's preschool. They don't get into the Pilgrims or the Colonies or the pumpkin pie but they do discuss the most important part--gratitude. The idea of taking a day to give thanks for all you have resonates everywhere and motivates me to stop vacuuming and cooking (who are we kidding....you know that's Wayne's job!) and picking up toys for ten minutes to reflect on my blessings.

I am thankful that I have a husband who loves to entertain and doesn't know the definition of relaxation. I am thankful that Riley has grown into such a confident little lady who knows that she's smart and beautiful and is always kind to others. I am thankful for her sense of empathy and that she probably won't eat turkey tonight because she is not a carnivore. I am thankful for her responsible nature and the fact that she will always be at the front of the stage or classroom, participating, following the rules and smiling. I am thankful that Lyla keeps me laughing everyday. She is headstrong and determined and knows what she wants at all times. I am thankful that she loves intensely and worships her friends and told me yesterday that she has the best family EVER. I am thankful that she enjoys each and every experience and has taught me to take time to breathe and enjoy each day.

So, despite the fact that I am behind on the blog, I am thankful that I have the time to blog, which would not have happened two years ago. I am thankful that I love to write and that my parents nurtured that love with creative writing classes and a very noisy typewriter. I miss my friends and family back home immensely, especially today, but I am thankful that I have made a wonderful set of friends here to celebrate with for the next few years. I am thankful that I have so much to blog about...this experience of living overseas and exploring the world with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment